Friday, July 14, 2006

biscuit on the skids

peggy jean has left the biscuit.

after a year at the cook stove with a finger in the pot, i have packed my knives and taken my place in the long line of erstwhile kitchen managers and executive chefs.

any romaticized visions i may have held unto myself about the flame and crumble of the biscuit in the wake of my departure have evaporated. i sit here in the fall out of my leaving, knowing that the biscuit will continue even in my absence.

it is always this way: no matter how hard you work, how much you care, you are never indispensible. the great lurching machines of industry continue on their sightless tracks, geared and powered by the great fuel of inevitability.

it nearly flies in the face of the 4th law of thermodynamics (or whatever number it is): a system left unto itself will decay. well, apparently the law never counted on such contradictory beasts as evolution and the biscuit.

and i must say it feels like a terrible break up. i drive by and wonder who the new manager is, are the employees as fond of him/her as they were of me? i feel raw and rejected. i want to burn my pile of biscuit shirts and caps. i want to keep them forever.

i have been gone three weeks. sometimes i wake up in a panic thinking i have forgotten a task or a chore, some scheduled event i had not prepared for. the thin film of sweat makes me shiver and i turn in bed and look for comfort in the thought that i no longer am responsible for all those little details.

it used to be that the comraderie and the infamy of working at the biscuit was enough to feed my courage to enter that maelstrom on a daily basis. and then, one day, there was not enough of anything that could convince me it was worth girding up my loins for and walk through that door. neither love nor money. baby girls, i was spent.

i could say to you (and indeed would be the party line of the company) that i left because of health issues. a recent diagnosis of an aggressive bone disease and the opinion of three doctors that to continue to cook would cripple me did throw a rather large monkey wrench into the works. the pain was/is intense. yet the recent acuisition of the biscuit by a corporation and the tension, tempers and uncertainty was too much. they say i quit. i say i was fired. in the end, it was just too painful to stay. for both of us.


i loved the biscuit. and i hated it. every day was a compromise and a pep rally to get me to work and back home again. i drive by and feel that i have become bone and blood of the building. but to the biscuit and the current employees, i am a ghost. no more than the brush and echo of the long dead. like, bunny, who died there and still whispers to those who walk the kitchen floor, i pass by and feel the connection slip from me as quickly as it came. i am static and snow. a grainy image of the latest casualty.

good bye, biscuiteers. i am slowly leaving the building.

3 Comments:

Blogger Brian said...

No, PJ-- the Biscuit hasn't crumbled (and you haven't been replaces). But I feel the flame and crumble of my heart every time I walk into my (our) office. Your lionhead creation and "Biscuit Slut" drawing still hang on my bulletin board- staring at me for 10-12 hours each day. You're spirit is still there with me constantly. I love ya, PJ!

7:41 PM

 
Blogger Beatrix said...

Darlin, I'm more worried about your health than some pesky biscuit stand. You've blown off far swankier places, so don't let this one get you down.

1:26 PM

 
Blogger jd said...

Good luck in all of your new Atlanta endeavors and definitely: health comes first!

4:18 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home